"Queen of Somewhere... A beautifully produced, lushly detailed sound banquet built around Julianna McDuffie’s nuanced lyrics, which explore themes of discovery, loss and longing... McDuffie delivers her songs in a rich and compelling, closely miked voice, at a measured pace that largely tracks the rhythm of the heartbeat. She is not shy to explore sound in the service of her voice, and listeners who appreciate attention to aural detail will find a lot to like here—vocal treatments spiral and eddy, trailing their way though a sonic landscape that is recorded with a fine sense of spatial possibility..."

-iTunes Review, by edgemitchell

March 17, 2015

This week in Juliannaland...

Couple of things happening here in the studio this week.

I've just added a new song to Soundcloud that is my entry to Moon Echo Audio's demo contest for their latest Reason Refill, "Hazewave".

I like Hazewave a LOT, actually, and this was a super fun project.  Making the most of Reason's Audiomatic RE (which has always been a favorite of mine), Hazewave truly brings the LoFi and grit to a production. If you're looking for a James Bond-ish running bass line or a spectacularly tarnished shimmer of strings, Bob's your Uncle. Done.

For the contest, all music must be comprised solely of Hazewave instruments, but Producers are free to add drums - and also vocals, because I checked with Moon Echo, personally. ;) 

I liked my experiment with Hazewave so much that I fully intend to round it out into a full-on song. There was a 3-minute limit for the contest, but I really want to take this a little farther.  Here's my entry:





Also flowing through the mic this week, a new project with a Producer from ReasonTalk.  We may be working a few things into an EP if all goes well.

And next up... this afternoon I'm singing for Sweden again, but not my usual Producer.  This time, it's Soundcloud user Busstop18.

Maybe someday I'll write about how an Ohio girl got so involved with all of these Swedish Producers...

No comments:

Post a Comment